Friday, August 26, 2011

Dispatches from the Edge- Book Club


My first time doing a book club. I've needed an excuse to read, and this seems like a good one. I tend to ramble on too much too, as you will notice reading this. I decided my first book to read would be Anderson Cooper's biography (and it has nothing to do with my secret crush on the man thats older than my dad)




Anderson Cooper struggles with excelling in life, and accepting tragedy for what it is, and learns to overcome so much more in the midst of it all. He writes about some of the world’s troubles that he has witnessed first hand. He also reflects back on his childhood with his family. He recounts 4 major events in his life that affected so many people, but within those events he digs deeper into other events in comparison to the moment he's in currently. He gives the reader a vivid clear image of the disaster at hand, as if you are there yourself. This is a very good book and I do recommend it to anyone who wants a fresh perspective of the world’s tragedies.

Some of my favorite quotes:
“Sometimes I wonder if I’m the person I was born to be, if the life I’ve lived really is the one I was meant to. 
“Whatever the faith, whatever the culture, the color, we are all human in the end. “
“Everyone has a different war”
“It always seems calm until the first bullet flies by”
“There’s time it seems to get better, and then it just falls apart again.”
“The aftermath of a storm is much more difficult than standing in the storm itself, no matter how hard the wind blows.”
“I am powerless in the face of the storm.”
“When asked why someone cries a lot : His bladder ‘s just located too close to his eyes.”
“It’s impossible to maintain, impossible to sustain. You can’t stay like this forever. Blissed out, bugged out, high, but not stoned. I’m in the moment. This second. Nowhere else. The work is done. “

Photobucket

4 comments:

Heather said...

He's older than your dad?! No way.

Wiz said...

I love Anderson Cooper!! So good looking!

Victoria said...

i didn't know he had an autobiography, i will definitely have to add this to my list.

cute blog!

happy friday!

Jules said...

I agree he is pretty good looking! Good writer too