Monday, November 3, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars:


I’ve been wanting to read this book for quite a while; before it was known it would be a movie, but I never could bring myself to read something that was going to be inevitably sad.  Since the movie has come out and so many people have praised it, I decided it’s time to jump on the band wagon and read the book.  I won’t watch the movie because I don’t want to knowingly watch something that will make me ball my eyes out.  At least with the book, when I knew a sad part was coming I could put it in the freezer for  awhile and then get it back out when I’m not so invested in the moment.  (anyone get the freezer reference?  Hint: Friends.).  That wasn’t the  case though. I didn’t end up putting my kindle in the freezer because I couldn’t put the book down. Period.
The Fault In our Stars was an amazing love story about a teenager who loves poetry and has cancer, who ends up befriending (and falling in love) with a teenage boy who has cancer and shares her same love for poetry and literature.  The story takes you on a journey of a teenager’s mindset when she has to deal with the thought of dying so young, leaving he parents behind. Would her parents still be parents if their only child died?  How will the boy she now loves deal with losing another lover one so early?  Even though their love may end early, they have their own infinite love for their own lifetime. 
If only we could all be so lucky to find that kind of love, whether for a fleeting moment or for 80 more years.  This book was FILLED with amazing quotes, and to share just a few of my favorite:
“Sometimes people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them,”  This is in reference to a moment when one cancer patient got dumped by the woman who promised to love him forever.  We all make promises in the moment, forgetting about all that we may have to endure in the future.  
 
“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” What an amazing way to describe falling in love.  It does sneak up on us doesn’t it? 
 
 
 

No comments: