Friday, July 10, 2015

What's your bloodtype?

Bloodtype. Sounds morbid to talk about. And it can be depending on the circumstances surrounding it.

I know my bloodtype. Only 2% of white people have my blood type. 1% of blacks and 1% of Hispanics also have my blood type. I am the second rarest bloodtype. Knowing this, I try to donate my blood every chance I get. You should know your type. It could be life and death. Mine is life and death for my unborn child. 

Because my bloodtype is (-) negative, and only 15% of the United States is negative. Of that, even less are women. 

Fun fact: a higher percentage of Rh negative people claim to have been abducted by aliens than Rh positive people. Hmmm..... 

If a woman has negative blood type, after her first child (or miscarriage) she requires a Rhogam shot. Within 72 hours m. Without the shot, she is at an extremely higher rate of having a miscarriage with the next pregnancy, or the child could be born with deformities. Why?? Because if at any point the baby's blood and the momma' blood get mixed together, and the baby happens to have a positive blood type, that is dangerous. 

Know your stuff!!! 

In early 2007, I'm 99% positive I had a miscarriage. I never went to the dr. I never thought snything about the Rh factors. I never took a test to confirm. I do know my boobs were sore and my period was about 3 weeks late. 

In 2012, I did have a confirmed miscarriage. 12 weeks pregnant. Worst thing to ever feel! Ok I won't go into details on that pain emotionally mentally and physically. A month after the miscarriage my dr wanted a follow-up and ordered the Rhogam shot. I didn't know about the 72 hour window. My dr sure didn't mention it. I thought nothing of it. Miscarriages happen. I was under way too much stress so that probably did it. 

In 2015, I was pregnant :-) yay. Worst possible timing but I was so excited. 6 weeks info the pregnancy I had a miscarriage. I freaked and worried something is wrong with me. Dr ordered me to see a fertility expert. :(  Exactly 33 days later my dr wanted s follow-up and ordered the Rhogam shot, which eould take a week to come in. She never mentioned anything about when to get the shot, just that I need it. Thanks to google and talking to pharmacists, I learned there is a 72-hour window to get the shot to protect my future baby. 
More than 2 months later, I still haven't received the required shot. 

After my research, I've come to the conclusion that I will more than likely have another miscarriage when I decide to get pregnant. Terrifying news. Knowing if I get pregnant the baby will die before I hold it, but after I am in love with it. How can I want to get pregnant knowing that?!! 

Life is hard but you need to be informed on the hardships of life and what can possibly pervent them. I now know how to prevent this (probably) thanks to no help from doctors. I can prevent this and have s perfectly healthy baby one day. It may take another painful miscarriage first, but that is ok. I will get my baby. 


No comments: