Friday, September 2, 2011

The Lone Survivor- Book Club

I am linking up today with Blonde… Undercover Blonde for my 2nd book club. I am really enjoying these, as it gives me a ‘reason’ to read.
                                 
I didn’t choose to read The Lone Survivor because the author, Marcus Lutrell, is from the same town I live in, or because he’s a Christian, or because he’s a redneck, or even because he was once a bouncer at the very same dance hall I often visit. But, those are all great perks. I have owned this book for about 4 years and never got make myself read it because I knew how awful it would be. I didn’t however, know how amazing it would be!


Marcus Lutrell is a Navy SEAL who’s team was ambushed in 2005 by the Taliban during a mission in Afghanistan.  Marcus tells you the background story of his family, the love and support his community have for him, and the training that takes place just to even get a shot at becoming a SEAL.  It sounds intense.  He adds humor throughout the book, and at times I caught myself literally laughing out loud at some of his comments.  He expresses his views of the political system, and how our messed up system is a reason we are losing more lives than we should during a time of war.  It really opens your eyes to the way America really feels about a war that we felt we just HAD to engage in.  I also found a few tears rolling down my cheek, as I’m reading his words it is almost as if I am there witnessing the battle with him for the first time.  Marcus, along with his 3 teammates all were heroes that day, no doubt.  I do recommend this book if you have any interest in the war and what is going on with our country. 

Some of my favorite quotes:

“I will come out fighting for my country and for my teammates.  If necessary, to the death.”

SEALs Philosophy: “I will never quit.  I persevere and thrive on adversity.  My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies.  If knocked down, I will get back up, every time.  I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission.  I am never out of the fight.”

“Americans are not welcome.” – This is a sign that is seen in many stores in Afghanistan, which is heart-breaking, because (to our little people’s knowledge) we are only there to help the country fight the Taliban themselves. 

Because in the end, your enemy must ultimately fear you, understand your supremacy.

Donald Rumsfeld once said “What do you want to do? Leave him there until he does?” regarding should we attack because they MIGHT have atomic bombs, but they might not.

“Because everyone knows liberals have never been wrong about anything.  You can ask them.  Anytime.”

*rules of engagement are clear, don’t shoot, kill or injure unarmed civilians, regardless, or fear imprisonment from your own country when you return.*

Those terrorist organizations laugh at the US media, and they know exactly how to use the system against us.

“Let him who desires peace prepare for war.”

“My own faith remained forever unshaken.”

The USA needs to “stop worrying if everyone still loved us. If we did that, we’d probably win in both Afghanistan and Iraq in about a week.”

“If you don’t want to get into a war where things go wrong, where the wrong people sometimes get killed, where innocent people sometimes have to die, then stay the hell out of it in the first place.- in response to the USA not allowing military to kill unarmed civilians, who may be trained spies or worse.”




Photobucket

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, he's actually from h-ville?!

Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm glad you stopped over to TLK Designs today. Just wanted to let you know that your blog is great and if you need any help when you sew the anthro shirt, please let me know! Email me at tlkdesigns (at) ymail (dot) com and I'll help ya out! (: